Forum Index
The Boater's Guide to Information, Education & Scuttlebutt...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

mariner 115hp doesnt start.starter or battery??help please!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mister t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:11 am    Post subject: mariner 115hp doesnt start.starter or battery??help please!! Reply with quote

i have a mariner 115 hp,year 1998. engine just got new parts,bearings,selas,pistonrings etc...
battery is charged,the starter is moving a little bit but then stops after 2 cm turning.when i start manually-hard work-with a string the engine starts first time.asking for advise some people say battery is not strong enough to turn motor,some say starter is broken.how can i find out whats wrong before i buy new starter or battery?i live in the philippines,so no proper service here as well....please help....
boatScotty

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you have no tools for testing and 'parts' experimentation is cost prohibitive...

The battery is the easiest to test - can you borrow a car battery to test the starting? That would be where I would start. Clean all the connections, from the battery to the starter, both ends (also free).

Let me know how that goes!

Marine Tech.
mister t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey scotty,just got home from work and found your reply,thanks!!!!
had some time today and took the starter out and apart. cleaned everything,contacts okay,wire okay,inside is a bit of the coles missing,looks like a deep scratch,springs and the contacts and metal parts on the bottom okay.everything back together,turns easy now.but same problem.i charged the battery last night and had this morning 13volt,but seems not strong enough to turn the starter around.
i tryed a battery from another boat,and same same.the starter turns slowly ,now maybe 1/2 turn and stops.is it possible the battery has not enough power/ampere to start the big engine?starting with rope today worked after a while,went for a spin with the boat and engine is running fine,apart from the starting problem.....so still not sure what it is....
boatScotty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK

First, get a big battery to confirm you did not just have another weak battery. I suggested out of a car because it would never have seen the salt water and been cooked sitting in a boat.

If that is not it and you still have a lot of drag on that starter - I once had that with a damaged brush.

Pull out the starter and have a look.

Marine Tech.
mister t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:07 am    Post subject: mariner outboard Reply with quote

hey,found the mistake!!!!
after checking the calbes and connections and using another batterie,pulled starter out and cleaned it,carbon okay and used a bit sandpaper for the contacts,started first time.
thanks for your help scotty
boat runs fine now!!!!!!!!!!
if you ever come to the philippines,i take you for a spin-and free diving!!!!!!!!!!
torstenklug@web.de
harry

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: follow this ... Reply with quote

just clean every part with some detergent and make it rough ..n u will see the difference in it
harry

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: dfhdhdh Reply with quote

gdsfgsdfhdh
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Mercury / Mariner O/B All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: