Forum Index
The Boater's Guide to Information, Education & Scuttlebutt...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1999 Mercury XR6 150hp cooling

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Green_Rino

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: 1999 Mercury XR6 150hp cooling Reply with quote

I am new to outboards. When starting up my outboard (1999 Mercury XR6 150hp) in the driveway on a 70deg day about how long should it take before the thermostat opens and i get water out the indicator hole (pee hole)?

I am hesitant to run longer than 30sec or so, am i just being parinoid? How quickly will the engine overheat if the pump is not functioning?

Please help.

J
boatScotty

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: 1999 Mercury XR6 150hp cooling Reply with quote

Water out of the pee hole is an indicator of a water pump working - not a thermostat. If you are NOT getting water out of the pee hole, you likely have impeller or other water problems.

By 30 seconds it should be coming out.

Marine Tech.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Mercury / Mariner O/B All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: