Forum Index
The Boater's Guide to Information, Education & Scuttlebutt...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

mercury engine trouble

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lyle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: mercury engine trouble Reply with quote

motor has good compression, sparks good, carburator leaks, engine won't start.....where do I start to figure out the problem?
Hal C

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Mercury engine trouble Reply with quote

Lyle, sorry to hear of the problems. Seems like you should start with the carburator, and what do you mean the carburator leaks? Is it leaking into the cylinders or outward onto the engine. The latter is of course very dangerous and needs to be fixed but either way it seems the carburator is the place to start. By the way, what year is the engine?
janneman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:24 am    Post subject: cleaning Reply with quote

hi there - since recent i own a '85 build 4 cylinder 2 stroke 50 hp mariner.

sounds like the same problem; if i prime the fuel one of the carbs starts pooring out the gas (eeek!). I think it just means there is goo in the carb's chamber and needs serious cleaning.

still wondering what fluids you can use to clean. I've heard it often is the 2-stroke oil that clutters up and needs rinsing.
MikeW

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Boat Carburetor Problems Reply with quote

Any good aerosol spray cleaner from a parts store will work. The key is to have compressed air to blow out all the jets and orifices before assembling the carburetor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Mercury / Mariner O/B All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: